10 Cool DIY Projects Using Old Tires

On: Tuesday, January 15, 2013

The other day I was in my garage and I realized something: we have way too many tires. Living where we do, we end up driving into the mountains a great deal, or further south and into the dessert. Both types of terrain can be rough on rubber, and we go through a full set of tires once a year. For a long time we just threw the old ones out, but now we have been patching and reusing them instead of purchasing new ones.

Obviously, this is better than tossing them both environmentally and economically. But we still have more than we need, and I had no idea what to do with them. Sell them? Give them away? That is when my Pinterest instinct kicked in and I knew I had to see if I could find some good upcycling projects for them.

These are the ten coolest I found.

1. Tire Swing

Tire Swing

My kids are both really little, so while I had considered the tire swing idea I thought it wouldn't be something they could use for at least a handful of years. But then I found this one, and it changed my mind. It has a unique design that makes the tire into an actual seat. Which makes it more appropriate for smaller children to use, unlike a full tire swing that they could fall out of.

2. Ladybug Tire Swing

Ladybug Tire Swing
For those of you who do want a traditional tire swing, this one is absolutely adorable. I had never thought to paint a tire before, and I love this idea. Ion the future, when they are old enough to sit easily in this kind of swing, I plan on making one in the form of a bumblebee.

3. Yard Decorations

Yard Decorations
Here is another painted tire idea. But these are just popped into the yard, front or back, to let your kids play in. It might sound silly, but if you think about it this is a great idea. It gives them a place to sit, tires to jump through, and something to imagine in.

4. Tree Planters

Tree Planters
I know from experience, large planters are expensive. They are also easy to break, and I have lost more than one in a bad storm. Which is why I am always eager for more creative ideas, and this is a great one. Different sized tires paints (or not) and stacked make a nice, sturdy and portable planter that isn't at risk of breaking.

5. Hanging Planter

Hanging Planter
Want something that will save space? A tire makes a great hanging planter, with a deep enough ridge to keet plants secure but enough of an opening to let them grow. I actually saw another photo somewhere but I can't remember where it was, and the gardener had put a whole line of little herb planters inside.

6. Tire Roof

Tire Roof
This is a very ambitious project, as you can plainly see. But it is also a really cool one. Thinking about it, rubber would make a very good roofing tile. Not to mention a great material for anyone who lives at a higher altitude and so is at risk of close lightning storms. I wouldn't even know how to go about doing this, but if you have expertise in roofing it might be something to consider.

7. Rubber Armor

Rubber Armor
Into LARPing? Maybe Cosplay? Leather is extremely expensive, as is faux leather, and it is what keeps many people from using it in their costumes. But if you want the same look while helping the environment and reusing old tires, this is pretty cool.

8. Seats

Seats
These are gorgeous, and I don't think much would be involved in making them. It looks as though they just shoved a beanbag underneath and let it poke out of the top, though I am not entirely certain. The gold color is stunning with that living room design, but you could do it with any kind of spray paint. All in all, I love this idea so much.

9. Chairs

Chairs
These are much more elaborate, but I love them just as much as the other ones. They have been turned into real chairs with a base. I really enjoy the colors, and I am guessing from the room design that this is some kind of car showroom.

10. Pots

Pots
Just plopping down the tires as planters not enough? Then do something really special and turn them into actual pots. I have no idea how you would go about doing this. If anyone knows, drop me a line below. because I would love to try it.

Have some ideas for reusing tires? See something cool online recently? Let us know in the comments.

Also, check out geeky bicycle hacks on our friend's blog!

1 appreciated comments on "10 Cool DIY Projects Using Old Tires"

Anonymous said...

Always check the ones for children before they play in them, snakes love to curl up in tires

Post a Comment